Answered By: Sarah Jenkins Last Updated: May 16, 2017 Views: 11
Problems can arise from a number of reasons. Please see a list of possible issues and solutions below. You are welcome to contact us with any questions or problems that arise.
- Many e-books can only be accessed by currently affiliated SMU students, faculty and staff, or from computers on SMU campus.
- If you are off-campus, you will be prompted to enter your SMU ID number and password. If you are still unable to access the e-book, please contact us.
Unable to Download
- Some e-books can only be partially downloaded and others cannot be downloaded at all. Some of SMU Libraries e-books have restrictions on the number of users who can simultaneously view them.
Unable to Open E-Book
- Some vendors only allow one user at a time to view the e-book. E-book vendor EBL allows unlimited users to access their e-books. Other vendors, like ebrary and NetLibrary, only allow a certain number of concurrent users. Look for "Concurrent User Level" to see how many users can read the book at once.
Locked Out of E-Book
- If you open an e-book and your browser closes or crashes, you may not be able to open the same e-book right away. Please wait 10-15 minutes and try again.
- Most e-books have technical requirements that may require you to install plugins or update software. Some pop-up blockers and other browser features can affect your ability to view e-books.
- All ebooks will not work in all browsers. Try opening the book in a different browser (Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer).
- Contact the OIT Help Desk for assistance.
- Not all file formats are compatible with all e-book devices.
- Some vendors have limits on the number of pages you can print. Check to see that the e-book you are viewing allows printing.